Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What is Leadership Exactly?

I was pleasantly surprised by a comment received last week in my last blog from someone who I consider a true leader, my father, Charles. He stated, and I quote, "Always remember to give recognition to the ones that deserve it. Without dropping the ball, always support the ones striving to achieve it."

I was a bit floored by his comments primarily because this was truly a piece of advice that made me ponder his thoughts.

By definition, leadership is an act that involves influencing, motivating, or empowering others to contribute towards an effective and (hopefully) successful endeavor. Now, I haven't specifically geared this towards an organizational thought, but if that was necessary I would have to include ideals such as allocating resources, key personnel, lines of communication, and management tactics (to say the least). What had especially floored me by my father's quote was the tactful sincerity that was offered. Although his words imply a sense of achievement, you must remember those who have fostered your progress from start to present: your parents, family, teachers, etc...

In this case, my business fundamentals were all derived from my parents as I was involved in a family-owned operation when I was only 12-years old. Not only was I involved, but everyday customers asked for me by name as I was the local 'guru' and source of knowledge.


As I review my current level of leadership, I realize that I uphold a host of cultural and personal values, in addition to the fact that envision direct, supportive, participatory, and achievement-focused styles of work. I'm not mandating that my fellow co-workers and/or subordinates tailor their work to this mold; however, it will make my stream of workflows much easier.

I've always said that when all team members are on the same page, completing tasks are much easier than two employees who are in different levels. I'm not about 're-inventing' the wheel, rather making the process smoother and a safer ride!

No comments: