Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Characteristics of a Natural Leader

In conjunction with a MBA Management class that I am currently enrolled in, I decided to expand upon what I felt were Characteristics that any Natural Leadership should uphold. This is by no means a mandatory skill-set, or a scientific study, of personal traits that Mr./Mrs. Manager should entail; rather, a suggestion of thoughts and theories that I have experienced through my post-undergraduate career as a Portfolio Manager and currently as a Senior Financial Analyst.


Here are the Top Ten Characteristics that I felt best kept employees, clients, and members of executive management at bay:

I. Motivating / Inspirational
II. Assertive
III. Integrity
IV. Personable
V. Encourages Open-Communication
VI. Visionary
VII. Responsible
VIII. Risk-Taker / Analytical
IX. Diplomatic / Political
X. Intelligent (both Book-Smarts and Common Sense)

This naturally brings about my next topic of discussion: What is the difference between an effective Manager and a Leader? I will try and answer that conundrum within the next paragraph but I must first point out the fact that not all managers are good leaders. There are instances wherein a manager is placed into an executive position based upon their experience, or are fortunate enough to have a direct line to individuals (i.e. Next of kin) who are members of executive management, or are simply filling a temporary void for the time being. I will, however, point out the fact that most leaders could make a great manager. Moreover, as mentioned previously, the managers who do not motivate, or empower their employees with one of the 'Top 10 Characteristics' listed above, may crumble in the adversarial ploys that accompany most leadership roles.

In my short lived, but rather highly accomplished, career to this point, I can state with certainty that I really enjoy a host of management figures that have taken me under their wing. Conversely, there are at least two individuals who I have had difficulties with, but at the end of the day let bygones be bygones for the overall success of the big picture. What I find quite appealing and mind-stimulating is analyzing my prior successes and failures and deciding what steps need to be taken to prevent the same mistakes from reappearing in future occurrences, sometimes defined as the reasoning for studying history.

2 comments:

Vancouver mortgages for self employed said...

Worked at Home or Online business is one of the most popular job at this moment and it is more comfortable to worked with it..

Ottawa mortgage broker said...

When using a Ottawa mortgage broker to locate a good lender, you will
routinely acquire quotes from at least three to four different lenders. If working without the help of a broker, it is necessary to seek multiple quotes. Unluckily, many home buyers omit loan comparisons. All lenders are not the same. Moreover, some lenders may not offer the best rate or loan package. Mortgage loan comparisons are the single way to assure and identify a good mortgage loan.